Monday, January 5, 2015

When I was younger, maybe 13 or 14, I became a self-proclaimed household expert at technology and its proper use.  I got used to explaining what youtube was, or how Limewire worked, to my parents and sisters in what was often an extremely patronizing and obnoxious tone, but they had to deal with it, because I was the only one who knew how to kill a computer virus or fix the modem when the internet wasn't working (unplugging it and plugging it back in again.  Sometimes I blew on the power cable for effect).
After a while my interest in video games and animation in particular intensified, and I eventually became especially fascinated by moments when something would go wrong, visibly, in a computer generated scenario.  Here's an example; a screenshot I took from a video game called LSD: Dream Emulator.

After a while I started looking for ways of manipulating these devices to make things go wrong intentionally.  Here are two pictures of an electronic road sign in my hometown:

I enjoy seeing art that has been created through digital tools that weren't necessarily meant to be used in the ways that the artist is using them.  Image file -> txt manipulation is a good example of this kind of process.  Here is an example of an image file that has been altered by conversion to text, then editing the text and converting it back to the original image file type:



I have also become interested in the way that images are shared through the internet; it has become so easy to take a picture, or draw something, and share it with everyone who is willing to see it.  I often feel overwhelmed by the number of images I process daily.



2 comments:

  1. I think the idea of being overwhelmed by the number of images you see daily is a really interesting idea and a great basis for art, especially the type of digital manipulation you are interested in. The static effect in your last image is a really interesting and compelling way of capturing that feeling. I can't wait to see what you will come up with for this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exactly the opposite of you. I know almost nothing about technology so I can relate to your parents and sister. I found your blog so interesting! The fact that you've found a deeper meaning in something could be considered a technical "glitch" is amazing. Just like Olivia Rowe said, I also can't wait to see what you create for this course.

    ReplyDelete